A mission statement


Hello, and welcome to My Kitchen and I. Every year I choose a cuisine to explore. This year, it's the year of the Snake! And I'll be continuing to cook mostly Asian foods, particularly Chinese dishes. Have I finally found the best cuisine in the world? Come explore and cook with me and let's find out. Please feel free to share your stories and comment on anything you see here, and thanks so much for visiting. Hope you enjoy the Year of the Snake in food!

Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Heaven

The self-absorbed say the question is to be or not to be, but I say the question is what wine goes best with pumpkin pie? That is a question that should be a little more fun to answer and may make you forget the answer to the former. A little joie de vivre never hurt anyone after all!

An impossible pairing you say?

Actually, my dear Romeo and Juliet, it is not so impossible as you imagine. The rule of thumb for wine-food pairings is to make the wine as sweet or sweeter than the food it is paired with. And neither wine nor food should overpower the flavor of the other. They must respect the taste each offers, and do their best to complement it. The sum of tastes thus becomes greater than the individuals, and foodie heaven beckons.

I have procured six wines recommended by Missouri vintners and will make a nice pumpkin pie to take to a little taste-testing party Sunday. Will let you know soon which we think is "The One" for a pumpkin pie match made in heaven! Below are the wines we'll be sampling:

Sweet Chardonel from Sand Creek 
Cream Sherry from Stone Hill 
Persimmon Wine from Buck Mountain 
Adam's Choice from 214 Liquor Store 
Late Harvest from St. Francois Winery 
Grand Malvasia Bianca from Crown Valley




I'll write more later about these lucious wines, as well as a little contest I'm planning to give a bottle of The One to a random reader.

In the meantime, I would love to hear your ideas for the perfect wine for pumpkin pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!